Okay, I’ll just say it. I’ve made another epic protein bar. And I measure epic by how good two key things are – TASTE and TEXTURE. These bars have nailed both. I went for a coffee vibe this time as these snacks are generally something I eat at that ‘elevenses’ hour when I’m usually in need of a coffee too! The texture turned out quite brownie-like which was IDEAL as well as unexpected! Of course, feel free to play around with protein powder flavours if you don’t want a coffee vibe – I’m sure chocolate would also be DELISH (isn’t it always?!)
This recipe uses both whey and vegan protein powder, which I like as it provides a variety of protein sources – animal and plant! I’ve topped the bars with a sprinkle of cacao nibs for a little chocolate-y kick too! I really hope you like them – they’re taking care of my work snack needs this week pretty nicely. Give them a try and see what you think!
(Brands I used: Flahavan’s Oats – Bulk Powders Whey Protein Isolate – Nature’s Plus Pea Protein – Beanie’s Instant Coffee – Nua Naturals Raw Cacao Nibs – Manilife Peanut Butter)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs (I use Nua Naturals brand)
- 1 tbsp Nut Butter (I used Manilife Roasted Peanut Butter)
- 90g Oats
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Whey protein powder
- 1/4 cup Pea protein (Or Rice Protein)
- 1/2 tbsp MyProtein Toffee Flavour Flavdrops (Can sub alternate sweetener for this)
- 1/2 cup freshly-brewed coffee (instant or brewed)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven).
- Blend the oats into flour (I used my Nutribullet), and boil the kettle for the coffee.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl – oat flour, whey protein, pea protein, and baking powder.
- Mix everything with a large spoon until well combined.
- Make a cup of coffee using whatever method you prefer – I used Beanie’s Instant Coffee (Amaretto flavour) so instant is perfect, as is brewed coffee!
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry – coffee, sweetener, and nut butter.
- Stir everything again until you get a glossy batter.
- Add the mixture to a lined baking tin, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check at 25 minutes and if a toothpick inserted comes out clean you’re good to go!
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing into bars!
Enjoy guys! I really hope you’re liking my homemade protein bars – or attempts at them! Tag me if you try them out – @theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x